Environmental Health and Safety Manager
Company: Plasser American Corp
Posted on: September 23, 2022
Some see the railway as transportation, while at Plasser
American we see it as transformation. The story of how steel tracks
turned the American promise into American progress and forged a
trusted pathway to the possibilities of the future. It's a story
that continues today, an American legacy unfolding mile by mile.
There is a lot riding on those tracks and we know that support,
quality and know-how are all important aspects in staying on
track.That's why the Plasser American tradition begins with a
promise. A promise to do things right. An unapologetic commitment
to quality that makes us the longtime trusted leader in cutting
edge American made innovations for the North American railway. It's
a promise to see things differently to turn ordinary steel into
safer passages. To be a partner that you can count on to engineer
solutions for the challenges of today and for the opportunities of
tomorrow. From research and design, expert manufacturing and
delivering unapparelled services, our customers trust us to keep
them ahead of the curve.Progress is about more than getting from
Point A to Point B. It's knowing you have a trusted foundation to
move you forward toward new possibilities waiting around the
corner. Join Plasser American to become part of our team forging
ahead towards new opportunities in railway maintenance. The railway
is a path to the future, choose this path and apply today.
- We are seeking an entrepreneurial Environmental Health and
Safety professional to join our high caliber team.
- This is an exciting opportunity develop and implement a
comprehensive EHS management system from ground up. Who we are
- Headquartered in Europe, we are the world's leading
manufacturer of highly engineered specialty rail equipment.
- Our US headquarters in Norfolk VA, with over 350 associates,
which is shortly to undergo a $54 million expansion.
- We design and manufacturer complex mobile rail equipment
supporting the nations critical rail infrastructure.
- We also operate our own fleet supporting civil construction
companies, class 1 and short line railroads. Overview
- Work closely and partner with Human Resources Manager to
transition EHS responsibilities.
- The EHS Manager must be capable of developing from the ground
up a pro-active EHS culture within a heavy industrial manufacturing
environment in addition to supporting our field service team and
- Expertise at Manager level developing and implementing from the
ground up a comprehensive EHS management system with demonstrated
results in developing a pro-active, incident free workplace and
- The EHS Manager role is a critical role within our organization
and the below are "Must Have" expertise:
- Be able to demonstrate tangible improvements in recordable
injury rates, near misses, first aids and hazard awareness, best
practices and training, resulting incomprehensive employee
- Know "What good looks like" and most importantly 'How to get
there' with a sense of urgency.
- Possess depth of expertise developing and implementing
comprehensive EHS best practices and business wide communication
and tiered training and additional training based on data from
- Highly visible within the organization, capable of developing
robust EHS processes, reporting and corrective action to ensure
compliance with all federal, state, local regulations and Company
- Possess demonstrated success reducing TRIR, DART, first aids,
hazards and 'at risk behaviors' by engaging all associates in a
'safety first' culture with 5S, Lean enterprise, continuous
improvement best practices.
- An articulate communicator, with excellent verbal and written
with excellent training skills throughout the business, protecting
all associates and business from known and unkown hazards and
- Develop an array of enterprise wide communication, including
toolbox talks, daily gemba walks, behavior driving KPI's, plant
wide communication, training materials and assessments.
- Develop material, implement and teach a comprehensive EHS
- Expertise operating in a complex heavy manufacturing
environment in compliance with the specifications and regulations
of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
- Expertise operating within Federal Railroad Administration
(FRA), Federal Transit Administration (FTA).
- Possess extensive expertise in environmental compliance
developing robust environmental compliance processes such as air,
water and spill prevention and emergency response program
- EHS Manager reports directly to VP Quality and Continuous
- Partners with Human Resources Manager.
- Supports Business Unit Leaders in Equipment, Parts and Service.
- Develops and implements a world class comprehensive EHS
- Implementing EHS best practices and further develop our
internal business and regulatory compliance reporting.
- Extensive working knowledge and expertise with EPA, FRA and
- Implement comprehensive EHS reporting of leading and lagging
KPI's, 5S, "SafeTrack' awareness and audits.
- Timely reporting of all environmental compliance; air permit,
water, discharge, noise sampling etc.
- Implement comprehensive manufacturing plant "Emergency Response
- Chairs and implements a fully functional safety council across
the locations and field teams.
- Build relationships with employees, supervisors, managers and
executive leadership to bring awareness of EHS.
- Seek employee involvement at all levels to develop a pro-active
EHS culture, correcting potential hazards.
- Must possess excellent "people" and "communication" skills,
building trust and respect throughout the enterprise.
- Engaging all associates in Plasser American Production System,
5S, Lean enterprise, continuous improvement.
- Operates with a sense of urgency, a natural pro-active
entrepreneurial leadership style.
- Strong organization and planning skills needed for managing
multiple projects with deadlines at several locations.
- A collaborative style with effective leadership and persuasion
skills with ability to hold others accountable.
- Candidates must be flexible with travel and remote working on
the nation's railroads supporting our railroad machinery team and
field service support teams, shift work, early morning, evenings
and occasional weekends. Qualifications:
- BS/BA (preferably in health & safety, environmental science,
engineering, or related discipline) is REQUIRED.
- Prefer safety-related certification, e.g.,
- 10 years expertise at Manager level developing and implementing
comprehensive EHS systems.
- Extensive medium / heavy industrial manufacturing experience in
addition to previous railroad experience.
- Advanced knowledge of Federal Railroad Administration (FRA)
- Expertise in developing OSHA VPP (Voluntary Protection Plan)
safety management system.
- Advanced knowledge of all Microsoft Office products required
(Word, Outlook, Power-Point, Excel).
- Driver's license, with five-year safe driving record. Licensing
- Possess or ability to acquire and maintain a Transportation
Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) card.
- Ability to secure an eRailSafe credentials supporting nation's
railroads. Working conditions and/or physical requirements:
- Work will be conducted in and around industrial manufacturing
facilities and railroads.
- Some travel required throughout US, Canada and Mexico, up to
- Must be able to climb stairs, access roofs and other areas via
ladders and handle hazardous materials.
- Ability to lift at least 25 pounds required.About Plasser
American: As part of the Plasser family brand, which is the largest
Maintenance of Way equipment provider in the world, PAC is a
rapidly growing provider of railway equipment in North America.
Continuing for the next few years, PAC will continue to make
significant investments in the North American Market including a
new office building and a substantial addition to our manufacturing
facility. PAC is making the needed investments to continue its
growth trajectory for many years to come. The next several years
will be an exciting time of transformation. We look to the future
to enhance our team and achieve our goals. PI191031705
Keywords: Plasser American Corp, Chesapeake , Environmental Health and Safety Manager, Executive , Chesapeake, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!