Company: Oceaneering International
Posted on: November 19, 2023
Oceaneering Marine Services Division (MSD) has over 30 years of
experience providing full-service submarine and surface ship
repairs supporting maintenance and alterations aboard commercial
and U.S. military vessels. We are SUBSAFE and DDS-SOC certified and
perform high-consequence maintenance on assets that operate in
As a Test Director at Oceaneering, you will play a pivotal role in
overseeing and managing the testing processes for our cutting-edge
technologies and systems. From planning and executing test programs
to analyzing results and driving continuous improvement, you will
ensure that our products meet the highest standards of quality and
performance. Your expertise in test strategy development, team
leadership, and collaboration will be essential in driving
innovation and delivering exceptional results.
Expectations of this function are:
- Being a self-motivated and focused individual with a strong
attention to detail and high ethical standards.
- Performing basic engineering tasks and conventional design that
may vary in nature.
- Having the ability to read and interpret blueprints, as well as
- Being capable of working as part of a team of managers and
technical personnel while supporting multiple projects.
- Possessing strong organizational skills and an
- Demonstrating the ability to synthesize diverse information
(technical, schedule) and exercise good judgment.
- Exhibiting good technical judgment and being expected to
provide some independent evaluation, originality, and
Duties & Responsibilities
- Directs test operations, and ensures testing operations are
performed in accordance with approved procedures.
- Reviews test procedures, TGIs (Task Group Instructions) & OQE
(Objective Quality Evidence) to ensure testing accomplished will
meet all the requirements.
- Ensures all testing or required operations that will be
performed during the assigned shift are listed on the LAT/TPOD
and/or SPOD. If testing or operations are not listed on the
LAT/TPOD, the TD shall not proceed before obtaining an approved
change to the LAT/TPOD and/or SPOD.
- Ensures all prerequisites are satisfied and shall brief the
personnel supporting the test on the requirements for performance
of the test. TD shall also brief the Shipyard and Ship's Watch/Duty
Officer of test status. The TD shall hold all members of the test
team accountable to the TWD and follow all instructions concerning
the test documents. Prerequisites include but are not limited to:
a. Conduct a thorough test boundary installation check.
- Perform test set-up and assembly of test equipment as directed
by TWDs. Develop system alignments verify they are performed and
- Conduct a review of approved procedures prior to performance.
Resolve any test document questions/concerns prior to proceeding to
- Responsible for preventing or stopping work or testing which
could prevent safe performance of operations listed on the LAT/TPOD
- Ensures the personnel supporting the test are briefed on the
requirements for performance of the test.
- Upon completion of the test, the TD shall review the document
for completion and evaluate shipyard shipboard test results and
problems and take appropriate corrective actions.
- Restores the system to a safe condition, as specified in the
test document, and notifies the ship's Duty Officer that testing is
- Reviews Work Packages to determine the appropriate testing to
be accomplished. Develop Supplemental Test Instructions to support
required testing. Develop and maintain a Test and Inspection
- Provides technical support to the project interfacing with
engineering, planning, and production personnel to define testing
- Develops, writesand processesproposed tag outs WAFs (Work
Authorization Forms) and the resulting TORS (Tag Out Records
Sheets) when required.
- Daily interface with SF and project personnel, and interface
functions with other test organizations as identified by the Test
Engineer Manager are an integral part of this task.
- Attend project meetings to provide input as necessary.
- Bachelor's Degree in a mechanical or electrical discipline from
an accredited college or university or AS in a mechanical or
electrical discipline from an accredited college or university with
additional working knowledge of Submarine structural, mechanical
and/or electrical system repair/installations.
- In lieu of a degree, a graduate of a Shipyard Apprenticeship
Program with a minimum of five (5) years supervisory experience in
Submarine/Shipboard structural, mechanical and/or electrical system
repair/installations; or qualified Submarines with six (6) years of
experience performing Submarine structural, mechanical and/or
electrical system repair/installations.
- A minimum of five (5) years experience in Submarine structural,
mechanical and/or electrical system repair/installations.
- Minimum of six (6) years technical knowledge and operational
experience with Naval Submarine and/or Surface HM&E systems.
Working knowledge of SUBSAFE & Level 1, drawing and NAVSEA approved
testing and certification/re-certification requirements.
- High comprehension of current testing requirements for
certification/recertification of U.S. Navy submarines, surface
ships, and special purpose vehicles/systems in order to serve as
the subject matter expert.
- Have HM&E systems experience such Trim & Drain, High
Pressure Air, Hydraulics, Power Generation/Dist,
Switchboards/Panels, Circuit Breakers, Battery Systems, Shore
power, Interior Communications, Announcing Circuits,
Alarm/Indication/Monitoring Systems, Temporary
Alarms/Communications, Ballast Control Systems, Steering and Diving
Control Systems, etc.
- Minimum of four (4) years technical experience and operational
knowledge with DryDeck Shelters (DDS) HM&E maintenance.
In-Depth working knowledge of Deep Submergence Systems/Scope of
Certification (DSS/SOC) and Divers Air Life Support System (LSS)
- High comprehensionof Dry Deck Shelter (DDS)Testing requirements
for certification/re-certificationof U.S. Navy Deep Submergence
System (DSS) in order to serve as the subject matter expert.
- Must be able to obtain a U.S. DoD Secret Security
- Must be a U.S. citizen who is not a dual citizen of any other
- Strong computer skills. Working knowledge of Microsoft Suite
and PeopleSoft experience is a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Background knowledge in government and commercial contract
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
The shipyard/base/manufacturing work environment; the site may
contain mobility barriers with uneven ground level and obstructed
pathways. Climatic and environmental conditions at the job site
will be indoor/outdoor climate with various temperatures and noise
levels caused by tools, machinery, equipment, and etc.
Employee may be required to do the following: ability to access and
work in confined spaces, reaching in all directions, handling and
manipulating objects and materials; coordinating the movement of
eyes, hands and fingers to operate machines and equipment; lifting
50 lbs from ground level, waist level, and/or overhead; carrying
objects, etc.; ascending/descending inclined ships gangways;
climbing ladders, standing; crawling, squatting, bending, sitting;
walking; seeing with or without correction; hearing with or without
correction; following set procedures and standards; applying basic
mathematical skills; following oral and/or written directions;
reading; writing; ability to recognize and report safety hazards.
Protective equipment will be required to be worn at all times. This
is Medium work.
(Exerting up to 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or 10 to
25 pounds of work frequently and/or up to 10 pounds of force
constantly to move objects. Physical demand requirements are in
excess of those for Light Work).
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for all
positions without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex
(including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity,national
origin, veteran status,disability, genetic information, or other
Job Board Partnership
#SUBSAFE #Submarine #Torpedoman #MachinistMate
Keywords: Oceaneering International, Chesapeake , Test Director, Executive , Chesapeake, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!