Company: Volvo Group
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Are You Looking for a Rewarding Career?
At Volvo Penta, our employees know what it takes to make a team
work! Being part of that team means that youre working with a
global and very diverse group of passionate, enthusiastic and
highly-skilled professionals from all walks of life who work and
play hard. Weve won the Great Place to Work award two years running
as well as being named, Employer of the Year, by Diesel Progress
magazine! This is absolutely a great place to belong with folks
ready to welcome you onboard!
Who is Volvo Penta?
Simply put, weve been around for a while and we know a thing or two
about being a world-leading supplier of engines and drive systems
for both marine and industrial applications to thousands of
customers worldwide. Were world leaders and innovative pioneers.
Innovation is in our DNA!
Who Are We Looking for to Join Us?
We are now looking for a Design Engineer to join our amazing,
award-winning team in Chesapeake, Virginia. As a Design Engineer,
you will be creating technical designs, BOMs and documentation of
components, fabrication, and integrated systems to international
standards of global manufacturing. You will perform routine and
less complex engineering tasks that support the mission of the
team, department, or Volvo Penta.
Some of your core responsibilities, and must haves for us,
As a Design Engineer, you will be afforded the opportunity to work
with some exceptionally skilled colleagues and experience some
truly exciting challenges that will benefit you both professionally
and personally. We can be a stepping-stone to greater
- Initiate and develop design concepts to meet cost objectives,
schedule, machine parameters, and criteria by use of layouts and
installation drawings. Layout design and create drawings via solid
modeling using the Creo CAD system with guidance and direction
provided by supervisor.
- Develop and perform stress/system calculations and implement
design improvements and cost reductions across the entire product
- Interface with suppliers to locate and approve components.
- Write work instructions for prototype and test technicians.
Monitor prototype builds and assure proper assembly. Implements
product design concepts for manufacturability with Manufacturing
- Review, analyze, and report on product parameter compliance via
test reports, spec sheets, etc. Develop action plans to meet
compliance if necessary.
- Communicate with the supervisor, project teams, and management
of project status with any recommendations to meet schedules and
As with Most Companies, You Absolutely Need the
We Require the Following Education & Experience:
- Expert experience with Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word and
Outlook, and familiarity with database programs
- Youll be speaking with employees at all levels within and
outside the company, so youll need excellent communication skills,
including fluency in speaking and writing English.
- Possess a high level of technical knowledge concerning drafting
and design disciplines, product cost, and product performance.
- Have an analytical approach to problem-solving and ability to
drive root cause analysis for issues.
- A project-oriented person with the ability to work with minimal
instruction and supervision both individually as well as in a
cross-functional team environment.
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, or Bachelor of
Science in an Engineering discipline.
- Minimum 3+ years experience in mechanical design in marine,
automotive, or industrial application.
- Successfully complete basic CAD training in a major CAD system.
CREO experience preferred.
- Having proficiency in electrical and electronic control system
functionality and problem solving is a major plus.
If you are interested in being part of a team focused on innovation
and success, and feel that this opportunity is for you, we invite
you to apply to become Design Engineer with our award-winning
- Health, vision, and dental insurance
- Competitive compensation and continuing education
- Generous Earned Time Off (ETO) plan
- 401K with matching
- and so much more!
We look forward to meeting you!
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the
general level of work being performed by persons assigned to the
classification. They are not intended to be construed as an
exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of
the job. Printed copies may not be the most current. Volvo Group
North America is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Affirmative
Action employer. E.O.E./M/F/D/V
Keywords: Volvo Group, Chesapeake , Design Engineer, Other , Chesapeake, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!