Outside Machinist III/Specialist
Company: Oceaneering International
Posted on: November 19, 2023
Oceaneering Marine Services Division (MSD) has over 30 years of
experience providing full-service submarine and surface ship
repairs supporting maintenance and alterations aboard commercial
and U.S. military vessels. We are SUBSAFE and DDS-SOC certified and
perform high-consequence maintenance on assets that operate in
Oceaneering Aerospace and Defense Technologies (AdTech) delivers
solutions that enable humans to work safely and effectively in
harsh environments - from underwater to the outer reaches of space.
Our innovative solutions support the development and application of
practical, cost-effective systems that meet our customers'
challenges - from routine to extreme. Our experience and expertise
across multiple industries uniquely positions us as a leader in the
government, space, and maritime services markets. Our products and
services meet the rigorous demands of the complex environments in
which they operate, delivering results without compromising safety
Oceaneering is a global provider of engineered services and
products, primarily to the offshore energy industry. We develop
products and services for use throughout the lifecycle of an
offshore oilfield, from drilling to decommissioning. We operate the
world's premier fleet of work class ROVs. Additionally, we are a
leader in offshore oilfield maintenance services, umbilicals,
subsea hardware, and tooling. We also use applied technology
expertise to serve the defense, entertainment, material handling,
aerospace, science, and renewable energy industries.
Repair, modify or overhaul various types of equipment or systems.
Set up and operate portable machining tools or equipment. Involves
heavy lifting, frequent stooping or bending and possible working
assignments in overhead structures, confined spaces or beneath
machinery. Strict adherence to safety, quality standards, good
housekeeping habits, high level of critical thinking/reading
comprehension, and frequent travel/overtime are required.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Requires no supervision/oversight, has experience in the trade
qualifications, and can perform all work required as an Outside
Machinist and will provide mentoring to junior craftsman.
- Must be able to understand and perform the basic set up,
alignment, and operation of various portable tools and hand tools
used in the trade as well as the ability to use most precision
measuring instruments such as height gauges, depth gauges,
calipers, verniers, lay-out tools, tachometers, thermometers,
vibration indicators and possess the ability to accurately record
readings and measurements as well as complete documentation,
repair, and testing of equipment.
- Must have the ability to interpret and work from blueprints,
sketches and specifications, and have experience in the
disassembly, repair, installation, testing and inspection of ship
machinery such as, but not limited to, propelling machinery, pumps,
valves, launchers, discharge machinery, ventilation equipment,
steering gear, evaporators, heaters, condensers, propulsion plants,
torpedo tubes, shutter doors, antennae mast mechanical groups.
- High School/GED with Apprenticeship Diploma and additional
vocational courses or technical school graduate; and/or military
and/or civilian experience with marine mechanical systems in a
repair department or shipyard.
- Must have the ability to obtain government base access.
- Knowledge and practical skills tests required.
- NAVSEA Hatch Inspector, Electroplating, Deep Submergence Systems
(SOC MCD A, B, and C), SUBSAFE Qualification.
- Must be able to obtain a Secret/Confidential security
This position is considered SHOP/OUTDOORS which is characterized as
- Primarily outdoors during the day and occasionally at night
- Frequently working on or near moving equipment and vibrating
- Humidity is frequently above 90%
- Noise is over 85 decibels
- Light is intense/glare
- Occasional exposure to open fire/flames/sparks
- Frequent exposure to airborne dust, fumes, and gases
- Work surface is stable
- Constant exposure to dust
- Includes exposure to contaminants
- Requires working in very hot (above 90 F degrees) or very cold
(below 32 F degrees) temperatures
- Includes exposure to sounds and noise levels that are distracting
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
This position is considered MEDIUM work.
- Lift 20-50 pounds
- Work in confined spaces, kneel, jump, run, and work while lying
on stomach/back, crawl, and use repetitive movements of the arms
- Identify color differences
- Wear PPE for skin protection
- Lift 10-25 pounds
- Climb stairs/ladders, stand, balance, stoop, squat, reach, and
- Twist body, sit with back supported, head forward/flexed, head
tilted/rotated, and work with arms extended overhead
- Operate a motor vehicle
- Lift up to 10 pounds
- Wear PPE protection for body, vision, and hearing protection
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for all
positions without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex
(including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity,national
origin, veteran status,disability, genetic information, or other
Keywords: Oceaneering International, Chesapeake , Outside Machinist III/Specialist, Other , Chesapeake, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!