Inside Machinist Supervisor
Company: Oceaneering International
Posted on: November 19, 2023
Oceaneering is a global provider of engineered services and
products, primarily to the offshore energy industry. We develop
products and services for use throughout the lifecycle of an
offshore oilfield, from drilling to decommissioning. We operate the
world's premier fleet of work class ROVs. Additionally, we are a
leader in offshore oilfield maintenance services, umbilicals,
subsea hardware, and tooling. We also use applied technology
expertise to serve the defense, entertainment, material handling,
aerospace, science, and renewable energy industries.
Our Marine Services Division has more than 30 years experience in
providing full-service ship repair capabilities for the US Naval
Vessels including submarines, surface ships and crafts and deep
submergence systems. Operating from state-of-the-art facilities in
Chesapeake, Virginia, we are certified in Submarine Safety
(SUBSAFE) and Deep Submergence System Scope of Certification
(DSS-DOC) repair activities, and specialize in the design, repair,
maintenance, modification, and installation of hull, mechanical and
electrical (HM&E) systems.
For more information please go to www.oceaneering.com and click on
Products & Services, thenclick Marine Services Division (MSD).
Supervise personnel in the Machining Department and ensure
compliance with all safety, quality, technical and housekeeping
standards. Direct and coordinate all production efforts and
scheduling required. Identify problems in the production flow and
ensure that necessary labor, material or support is applied to
relieve the issue. Resolve technical questions and issues
associated within production responsibilities. Interface with
customers to ensure satisfaction.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Supervise and coordinate the production assignments and guide
personnel in the performance of their duties.
- Supervisory responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and
training employees, planning, assigning, and directing work;
appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees;
addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Schedule, prioritize and control shop production tasks/projects
to ensure that associated deadlines are met and manpower is
- Foster a culture of continuous improvement and waste
- Recommend and/or make improvements in production
machinery/equipment, including production methods to maximize
efficiency and reduce manufacturing costs.
- Ensure economy and accountability in the expenditure of
man-hours and material.
- Provide technical advice and interpretation of drawings,
schematics, MIL-STD's, SUBSAFE/SOC requirements, shop processes,
etc., to production personnel.
- Ensure required production documentation is completed and filed
properly (e.g.; Time Reporting, QA inspection (OQE), Material
Purchase Order Requests, etc.).
- Maintain and provide production status for all assignments to
the Project Manager.
- Conduct periodic performance evaluations of section personnel.
Take proper and judicious disciplinary measures in accordance with
- Assist with determining labor, material and scheduling
requirements for projects.
- Review Technical Work Document packages (REC, CWP, TGI) prior
to opening to ensure the full scope of work is identified for
assigned task. This shall include adding any special reference
readings required for system reinstallation and/or
- Review/audit Technical Work Document packages (REC, CWP, TGI)
at the completion of work to ensure all requirements/OQE are
completed. Sign the Re-Entry Control (REC) at the completion of
work in accordance with OII-MSD Quality Assurance Manual.
- May be required to operate machine tools and other machine shop
- May be required to perform other special projects or duties as
- Willing to work extended hours and receive after-hours phone
calls as required.
- Some travel may be required.
- Supervisory position in a Naval or Commercial Shipyard with
extensive Apprenticeship Program; or High School/GED with
Apprenticeship Diploma; or High School Diploma/GED with extensive
machine shop and supervisory experience.
- Minimum 5 years experience setting up and operating manual as
well as CNC Machines in a shop environment.
- Excellent understanding of machining principles, feeds and
speeds, and GD&T.
- Minimum 3 years experience in a in supervisory position.
- Strong ability to resolve manufacturing challenges in a machine
- Must have working knowledge of machinery, valve and actuator
- Excellent coaching and leadership skills.
- Knowledge of trade related tools, tooling, information
resources and precision measuring instruments.
- Ability to communicate and interface effectively with personnel
within and outside the organization.
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office tools.
- Must be able to obtain a Secret level security clearance.
- Must be a U.S. citizen who is not a dual citizen of any other
This position is considered SHOP/INDOORS which is characterized as
- Primarily indoors during the day and occasionally at night
- Frequently working on or near moving equipment and vibrating
- When outdoors, humidity is frequently above 90%
- Noise is over 85 decibels
- Light is intense/glare
- Occasional exposure to open fire/flames/sparks
- Frequent exposure to airborne dust, fumes, and gases
- Includes exposure to contaminants
- Requires working in very hot (above 90 F degrees) or very cold
(below 32 F degrees) temperatures
- Includes exposure to sounds and noise levels that are
distracting or uncomfortable
- Job tasks are performed in close physical proximity to other
- Requires working indoors in non-controlled environmental
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
This position is considered MEDIUMwork.
- Lift 20-50 pounds
- Work in confined spaces , k neel, jump, run, work while lying
on stomach/back, crawl, and use repetitive movements of the arms
- Identify color differences
- Wear PPE for skin protection
- Lift 10-25 pounds
- Climb stairs/ladders, stand, balance, stoop, squat, reach, and
- Twist body, sit with back supported, head forward/flexed, head
tilted/rotated, and work with arms extended overhead
- Operate a motor vehicle
- Lift up to 10 pounds
- Wear PPE protection for body, vision, and hearing
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for all
positions without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex
(including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity,national
origin, veteran status,disability, genetic information, or other
Keywords: Oceaneering International, Chesapeake , Inside Machinist Supervisor, Other , Chesapeake, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!