Company: Electronic Consulting Services
Posted on: July 11, 2019
ECS is seeking an Applications Specialist to work in our
Chesapeake, VA office.
This position is for an application engineer on the SOA Team. You
will work with senior architects, developers and system
administrators on the SOA team and customers throughout the Coast
Guard and Federal Government to design, build, operate, and support
the Coast Guard s Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) solutions and
Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) infrastructure. You will also be part
of the core 24x7 operations and maintenance support team.
* Work with customers, architects, administrators, engineers and
developers on the SOA team and various other Coast Guard technical
teams to help architect, design, develop, implement and maintain
mission-critical REST-based Service Oriented Architecture solutions
and software applications for multiple Coast Guard business
* Operate, maintain and implement continuous improvements to the
SOA infrastructure to meet or exceed all SOA Service and Operating
Level requirements. Responsibilities include but are not limited
to: Configuration management/administration for SOA, evaluating,
installing, upgrading, configuring, monitoring, testing and tuning
SOA software and related products, backup and recovery policies and
procedures, API Server configuration & maintenance (creating and
maintaining policies, users, roles, and privileges), ESB tuning and
performance monitoring, application/message flow tuning and
* Develop, validate, coordinate, lead and execute complex
maintenance, failover and disaster recovery activities in a 7x24
mission-critical production environment.
* Work in conjunction with architects to implement continuous
improvements and updates to the Coast Guard s SPEAR
custom applications or use Nimsoft and other COTS tools to monitor
the performance of the ESB, associated applications and/or to
automate routine tasks.
* Provide 7x24 (rotating on-call duty) production support of
applications and supporting software and infrastructure associated
with the Coast Guard s SOA to meet mission-critical service level
and operating level agreements.
* Work effectively with SOA and other team members to troubleshoot
and promptly identify and address problems.
* Perform data analysis and report results related to SOA metrics
to provide the team and the command with timely and accurate
information pertinent to SOA service level and operating level
* Work with the SOA team to perform licensing, application and data
and customer ticket management tasks as required. This includes
(but is not limited to) procurement, loading, editing, configuring,
restoring, tracking and removing licenses and applications at the
requests of our customers and tracking the progress and status of
work orders and incidents.
* Prepare clear written instructions and standard operating
* Help to develop, write and validate enterprise governance
* Research, test, and coordinate SOA software patches/upgrades.
* Work with the SOA team to develop, implement, and maintain SOA
* Interact with technical teams and vendor support organizations to
resolve technical issues.
* Associates Degree in Computer Science, IT Engineering, or related
* 1-4 years of experience with programming, networking, and/or
* 1-4 years of application development experience in an
object-oriented environment preferred (Java experience strongly
* 1-4 years operational experience in a 7x24 production environment
with a focus on installing, configuring, maintaining &
troubleshooting server software within a Linux environment is
* Knowledge of the technologies, protocols, conventions, and
protocols used throughout the Internet, such as HTTP, HTML, TCP/IP,
* Demonstrated basic knowledge of TCP/IP networking.
* Positive, enthusiastic attitude and willingness to learn new
skills and technologies.
* Creative, resourceful, logical and innovative approach to
technical challenges and problem solving is essential.
* Ability to learn to plan, document, install and effectively
implement and maintain complex software across heterogeneous server
and networking environments.
* Ability to learn to diagnose complex problems effectively and
resolve issues in a mult-tier environment.
* Excellent oral and written communications skills including the
ability to prepare documentation of standard operating
* Development experience with asynchronous messaging applications
using APIs such Java Message Service (JMS) or Apache NMS.
* Experience writing XSLT transformations and XSD schemas.
* Strong software and service-oriented architecture skills highly
* Strong background in ITIL framework and data analysis,
measurement and optimization techniques highly beneficial.
* Familiarity with disaster recovery and high availability
scenarios highly desirable.
* Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with implementing
REST-based software and architecture patterns.
* Demonstrated programming experience in an object-oriented
programming language such as Java or C#.
and Python and common data formats especially XML and JSON. These
skills are essential as this position will assist Java developers
in deploying and testing applications in a high availability ESB
environment using REST patterns via asynchronous messaging (JMS)
and Java application servers.
* Experience with messaging middleware products such as Red Hat
JBoss A-MQ, Apache ActiveMQ, Apache Camel is strongly preferred
ECS is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate or
allow discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, gender,
age, national origin, citizenship, disability, veteran status or
any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law.
ECS promotes affirmative action for minorities, women, disabled
persons, and veterans.
ECS is a leading mid-sized provider of technology services to the
United States Federal Government. We are focused on people, values
and purpose. Every day, our 2300+ employees focus on providing
their technical talent to support the Federal Agencies and
Departments of the US Government to serve, protect and defend the
Keywords: Electronic Consulting Services, Chesapeake , Applications Specialist, Other , Chesapeake, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!